Sunday 5 June 2011

Painting Rainbows

This week's IAE challenge theme was "over the rainbow". The final submissions are bound to make a wonderful rainbow of their own and can be seen here later today.

I'm a bit of a split personality when it comes to colour -  sometimes I love to work with rich, deep, vibrant shades, but at other times I'm drawn to understated, natural, muted tones.  

I've sometimes felt that my colour choices are unconsciously affected by my mood and what's going on in my life at the time.

I'm generally in a muted phase at the moment, so it was nice to have a change :)

 This is an experiment in acrylics and coloured pencil - kind of a painted patchwork quilt! I'm hoping to do a larger version for a local art show, though I may go back to my subdued colours! 

What colours are you being drawn to at the moment? 


10 comments:

  1. Definitely do this as a painting- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going for the brights at the moment - possibly inspired by this week's challenge! This looks great. Imagine it as a poster or even a tea towel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful hearts along with wonderful rich colors. I usually go for the oranges and reds, earth colors, but recently I also feel myself drawn to blues. It really depends on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your grids...I love the vibrant colors in this one...makes a very happy painting!
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hearts! Great happy piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the patchwork effect, simple colourful and beautiful. Would compliment many home decors and so would be a perfect cheery piece to hang on the wall.

    Kat :-)X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely romantic rainbow colours. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cheery bright colors at the moment, and these hearts are wonderful! You have the perfect balance of color to lead the eye around the painting.

    ReplyDelete